Geneva, 28 May 2010 —
The Financial Times
today announces the launch of its new app for iPad, on the day the iPad goes on sale in Switzerland. The app takes advantage of the iPad’s unique interface and provides interactive access to a broad range of FT content, including video, markets data, investment portfolios and news and analysis.
The app is available for free and is integrated into the FT.com access model whereby registered users will have access to 10 free articles a month before having to subscribe. At launch, luxury watchmaker Hublot will sponsor completely free access to FT content through the app until 31st
July 2010 following free registration.
“The iPad is another exciting channel for the FT that has already generated a great deal of interest from readers and advertisers,” said Steve Pinches, Lead Product Manager, FT.com. “The FT App for iPad is a customisable app combining the interactivity and immediacy of FT.com with the familiar experience of browsing through a newspaper. It builds on the 300,000 downloads we’ve already seen for the FT App for iPhone launched last year.”
Key features of the app include the ability to:
- Download the daily FT to your iPad for offline reading
- Access content across all sections of FT.com, fully customisable so users can order key sections of the application interface – including World, Companies, Markets and more
- View the FT’s award-winning high quality video content, including the latest updates on markets and interviews with high profile CEOs each morning. This is the first time the FT has offered video on one of its mobile products.
- A dedicated Markets Data section, including macromaps highlighting markets across the world, with the option to also view regional indices and company information sheets
- Full access to view personal investment portfolios
- Read top ‘must read’ stories of the moment for the iPad edition, determined by the FT editorial team
The new application is compatible with both the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G iPad models and is for free from the App Store on iPad